Conquering a Tennessee Titan


November 10th: I went in for an all day sit…this ridge was covered in fresh scrapes, I had found them a couple days prior to the muzzleloader opener, but I opted to hold out for the right wind before going in to sit for the first time all season. The old road bed runs east and west, the wind was blowing up the hill from the south/southwest…exactly what I needed when I hiked the 3/4 mile trek to my stand in the dark. I grabbed my card from the camera on my way to the tree so that I could take a look at it from the stand. About 7 am I had a spike come through just as I had expected a deer to travel, and made a loop and went right back toward where he had come from. I wanted to do some rattling, but told myself to wait till 8 am to just let the woods get good and alive before I started the  sequence. I grabbed my rattling horns and slammed them together for a good 30 seconds, followed it up with a couple of bleats from my can call and then closed it out with some long  grunts on my 3rd Regiment call. I then hung the antlers up, stood up and turned my attention toward where that spike had last disappeared. It wasn’t but about 5 minutes when I saw movement. This deer was directly up wind from me and moving my way. The terrain would force the deer to move uphill toward my stand and parallel a ravine that ran straight down the hill behind my stand. That is exactly what happened…he paused at the ravine, looking for the culprits of all of the commotion and then turned walking straight uphill. His position would put him level with me just as he would hit a clearing on the edge of the ravine. As soon as he stepped into the clear he paused, again looking for the two bucks that had been fighting, or the doe that they had been fighting for. That is as far as he would go. I had already anticipated him stopping in that spot and was ready when he did. I squeezed the trigger on my CVA Accura V2, and when the smoke cleared, he lay dead at about 80 yards from my stand. I sat down and allowed the excitement to flow through my body as the adrenaline pulsed through my veins. I knew this deer, I had seen him twice through bow season and hung a camera to get a better look at him. I knew that if given the chance I would kill him, his unique rack was one that I wanted to put my hands on. Finally I was able to settle down and climb down to walk over to my buck. I made a couple of calls and texts, then sat and enjoyed an oatmeal cream pie beside him before taking a few pictures and then hiking all the way back to the barn to get a UTV to get him out. There is no doubt that he came to the call sequence. Just a few days before I had rattled and grunted in another buck that turned and gave chase to a doe just as I realized what he was and was getting my muzzleloader up for the shot! Muzzleloaders seasons seems to often coincide with rut activities in many states, and Tennessee was no exception for me this year! Thanks again for making a great muzzleloader, I will always trust my CVA in the field or in the range!